Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Sunday, February 20, 2005

The waiting is the hardest part

Unless it's the sleeping. Or the going up stairs.

Sorry folks, still no baby.

However, all is as well as can be expected. I'm feeling pretty good today. Yesterday, I was just wiped out and slept all day. This morning I got up early and walked Orly, and then we went out to Einstein's for breakfast. We went to Target, where Nathan pointed out that the stranger comments have reached a new height - yelling from across the parking lot. A woman with a small child yelled out "When's the baby due???" I yelled back "last Wednesday!" and she said "Walk, walk walk!". So that's what I did. When we got home, I still had energy, and it was sunny out, despite being cold, so we took Orly and went on a 45 minute walk all over the neighbourhood. It felt great. I came back, ate, showered, and now I'm about to nap. The simple things in life. Nathan's at the grocery store stocking up on yummy stuff, no doubt. He rented Napoleon Dynamite, so maybe we'll watch that tonight. I had wanted to rent Kill Bill, Volume 2, since Volume 1 was such a great mothering story, but they were out of it.

On that same theme (cynical takes on motherhood), I'm reading Little Children, which again, Callie talked about in her blog not long ago. It is hilarious. You'd think I might not want to bitter cynical stuff right now, but actually, it makes me feel a little more normal, less like this big package walking around tied up with a bow for strangers to oooh and ahh over. No doubt we'll have plenty of time for the sentimental stuff when the little guy makes his long-awaited appearance.

I talked to my doula and my Bradley teacher yesterday morning. Turns out I'm the last of my Bradley class - everyone else has a baby already! Then again, two of us had the latest due date, and the other woman had to go early - they found at at 39 weeks that she was breech, so she had to have an early c-section. She delivered at this hospital which has a 40% ceaserean rate (!), and they bumped her surgery 5 times, between 4 pm and midnight because they were doing so many of them. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

So the current strategies are walking, resting, doing exercises to get the baby into the right position, sitting on the birthing ball, and drinking red raspberry leaf tea. Tomorrow, we go back to the doctor, at which point, they'll probably schedule an induction date and we'll start some different strategies.

In the meantime, the best thing we can do is hang in there and let the baby come on his own timeline. Thansk again for all the good wishes. It's nice to hear from people. Thankfully, Nathan's home this long weekend with me, but if this goes into next week, I'm looking at another week of not working and going nutso waiting for the baby. Are there enough episodes of Law & Order out there to cover me? There just may be. I found out that they not only run them at 3pm, 4pm, and 7-10, pm, but there are a couple that come on at 3 am and 4 am. Lucky find for me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is starting to get more suspenseful than any Law & Order I've ever watched....You are such a trooper!! I'm rooting for a quick labor for you! -Mel

p.s. I loved the image from Thursday's entry of you reading a Modern Bride magazine...Definitely a Kodak moment! The liquor store & pregnancy test ideas made me laugh out loud. Could make for an interesting scrapbook page!

6:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny you should mention "Little Children". I have a copy of it which I packed a couple of weeks ago to give to you and Nathan. Talking on the phone almost daily down't mean we've communicated all. Glad you're enjoying it. AT the time I bought it for you, I somehow didn't think I had time to mail it to you. "Life wags on" as the Ruth say goes. Soon enough all this waiting will seem of little consequence when your baby is here to distract us all with his charms. ---Sandy/Mom

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home