Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Monday, January 03, 2005

We're back

Back at work today, after taking a little over a week off. It was a weird vacation. My first time having Christmas away from my family - we did go to the movies, and have a special brunch at home. All in all, it was a quiet, restful time. We also ran around a fair amount and did a lot of shopping for the baby's room. It's all fixed up now, with the crib, new window treatments, a dresser, a changing table, a new lamp, etc. We also got the car seat and a stroller from Romey and Dori. (A very cool Maclaren). We're a lot more set up than we were before, and that's a great relief. All the little clothes are put away, and we've even bought diapers and packed the new diaper bag.

It was also a sad time for us - my grandmother passed away on Friday, and it's been hard not to be there. I won't be able to travel to the memorial service this week, which is pretty frustrating. I'd really like to go. Not sure what to do about that.

We have another doctor's appointment this afternoon, followed by our last "Monday" class. (The Bradley classes continue for another 3 weeks). Tonight, it's a class with a pediatrician, where we learn about baby care. Yay, no more birth videos.

The baby is growing and growing. Back at the office today, everyone commented on how much bigger I am than before Christmas. He's also moving around all the time - sleeping is becoming difficult.

As Sol said, the baby has lost two grandmothers before he was even born. I'm still feeling pretty lucky about all the great family he will have to welcome him when he gets here. I don't know if it's a biological phenomenon: self- or other-preservation, but I feel like I'm in a big hormone bubble of calm. Nothing really gets me too upset. It's like the baby and I are insulated, or buffered, from feeling things too deeply right now. We're counting on 2005 bringing happier times.



2 Comments:

Blogger meegan said...

Whoops. Thanks for the edit.

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Sol said, the baby has lost 2 grandmothers, (but if I figure right,one being a great grandmother) before he was born. I lost one grandmother and two grandfathers before I was born so I think I know a little about how the baby will wish he had been able to know those loved ones!

So many emotions facing you all at once. I am so pleased to know that you are blessed with a "calmness", which is probably beyond your understanding, but which I believe comes from God.

We send our love to you and Nathan and the baby. Dorothy

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home